Thursday, December 15

The Last Time

I was just wondering when the last time I had been across the border into America. And then, coincidence as usual, I find this post below, dated February of 2004. It was my last time there. So far, good luck, I don't have to cross again. Hopefully never.



I went to California yesterday, early in the morning. It is not far from here,about seventy five miles. So many worlds away though. Knowing your going to cross the border is something I can't let myself think about until just as you get there. The thought of how long the line is can ruin a beautiful drive if allowed to. And it really was unusually beautiful yesterday, the waves were so big and so many sets rolling in with the morning sun on them. White and foamy and clean. The highway goes along the edge of the ocean the whole way, except the last few miles through the side of Tijuana along the big fence with all the lights. I wonder why they leave the lights on during the day. I have three toll booths to go through, each over two dollars. One of the toll takers gave my dog a piece of burrito. The soldiers had on new spring uniforms. They are so young and look good.

The border line was only twenty minutes,compared to a couple of hours or more frequently. The lanes keep breaking up and everyone has to fight for their place so it is exciting, or sometimes, very annoying. The guard was the type that takes extreme offense when they ask why you are in Mexico, and you answer because you live there. It is better to say I am a tourist and I am so glad to be coming back home and take a good bath. But it was to early for that story. Besides, lying can get you caught up too. So he asked us, my husband and I, for what purposedid we cross the border. He was told because we have to get the smog check done on my mothers car. He asked for proof of this story. I gave him the papers that came in my mothers mail, they were in the envelope they gave us to be mailed in. He looked at it and said something. My husband missed understanding his unknown accent. He loudly repeated, then if your going why is the envelope sealed, and then handed itback. My husband flipped it over and said to him, look it is not sealed. He went into a rage, told us how to respect America and then told us to get out of there fast. That over we went to the nearest Mexican restaurant and had breakfast and cinnamon coffee, just to get back in the right mood.

The smog check went great. Funny sort of people who work at gas stations and stand around looking at car motors. I took the dog for a walk around a couple of blocks. The landscaping on every house was different. It was an old neighborhood so the trees were big. Incredible green lawns, such a variety of grass types. I felt like I could have just kept on walking for hours looking at it all. Excess excess excess.

After that things went bad. I need a huge rice cooker for my dogs. I went into two of those huge stores that when you stand at the entrance it becomes near terrifying, the thought of trying to narrow it down to the one thing you came for. More excess and unnecessaty, baskets totally full, people eating samples, lines a longer wait then the border was. No rice cooker, but I gathered up a few things that I thought might save some money, if I had really needed them. Then my time limit ran out for a situation like that and I had to abandon the cart in the middle of the store and escape, my husband in agreeance. There was even a line getting out of the parking lot. So next I tried a grocery store but did not even get out of the car after seeing the odd looking strikers out front. Exhausted I went next door to a Starbucks. There were homeless looking for change in the phone booth, a girl with a child walking with a please hire me I am hungry sign on her. A small booth set up to fingerprint children to help when they are abducted being run by a girl with orange hair and rings in her tongue and eyebrow and a betty boop tatoo revealed by her very low blouse. At least the coffee was good.

Giving up on all else my husband and I decided to get back across the border. I forgot to mail the envelop for the DMV. That border guard must have jinxed it with his touch. I hate lying to my mother, but I have not confessed it is still in the car, complete now, but still not on the way with the deadline so close. The moment I crossed the border my whole body changed, relaxed, breathed easy. Driving along looking at all the border jumpers all along the fence waiting for their chance I felt so sorry for them and so glad I was back home again.Then the whole drive back and the ocean the whole way. By the time I got back home I was healed again knowing that I don't have to put up with that sort of thing. At least not until my mother has another one of her it has to be done in California errands for me. Think I will go stand out in the rain and almost sunshine right now just to wash this last little bit of memory away as I post this.

1 comment:

furtherleft said...

It was August 2002 when we last told friends "Dejamos las corazones en tus manos porque no se necesitan para alla (We leave our hearts in your hands because they aren't needed there)." and guardedly ventured north to the land of fear and loathing for a wedding dance with youngest daughter. We returned safe with relief to Mexico, a free country, a month later where the hearts were waiting well kept. We will hopefully stay with them here in Mexico as long as they beat.