Wednesday, November 16

Grocery Stores

It sometimes feels strange when I think of grocery stores and what I need to get from them today while I am in town. They say it is cheaper. That was one of the exciting things about moving from the country, so many grocery stores. I sit here with pencil and a scrap of paper making a list. Mouse traps is all I can think of. I have salt and sugar, the soap has not run out yet. I need to get some food, there is really next to none in the house. But a grocery store off out in town, big and nice with near everything, is not a good place for that. I want four hot rolls from the bakery and they always have fresh milk, corn tortillas from the factory as they come off the conveyor belt. And lately there has been some just picked vegtables sold out of the back of a truck parked near the school. All this right in my own village. I could even walk, if I liked walking steep roads. And if I am in the mood, maybe the meat market, the man raises his cattle out in the hills behind me. Or the harbor out front, to see what has come in on the boats. Yes, strange, nothing really in those big stores, and I feel silly pushing a huge cart empty or with what I could have got right where I live, from a neighbor. Aisle after Aisle, wondering which one might have some real food. Plus, it makes my feet ache and exhaust me. Its seeing all that excess. Such a reminder of where man has got himself. Everywhere you look, we seem to be in a head long rush to change humanity into something I don't think was ever meant to be. Bottled, canned, packaged, our food and our minds, for easy use. The further you move from simple the further you get from whats good and right. Maybe some might think shopping in those shrines to excess gives them freedom of choice and expression, but I think it compromises a person to consummerism. Which of course is oppression. The new form of oppression, excess american style.

No comments: