Monday, May 8

The Book Event

*
Posted by Picasa

I took my book to the American book fair Saturday. It was a book signing for the authors who live in my area and write of Mexico. I am trying to sort out what to think of the whole thing. Beautiful resort right on the ocean and lots of plants and flowers, exotic. A nice place to launch my book, along with the cyber world. An American event, and I noticed that alcohol was a major theme. A full bar, wine tasting booths and in the evening tequila tasting. I don’t drink. I could tell they were getting very tipsy towards the end when I left early, loud and friendly and they have an odd way of making jokes right off and your suppose to respond in kind. Which I never learned how too. It was my first full on gringo even in 25 years here, so it was kind of like culture shock. I observed them.
*
My husband has many ways of making money here in a country that is hard to make money in. Unlike most Americans, we must make our living here, no other money. If one business is lagging usually one is doing ok. So my book booth was more then just my book. It is also an information booth on these and our friends businesses. What was interesting as we passed out this information in an attempt to attract new customers, I was selling them a book that will offend them most likely. A little to much talking bad about Americans, although its very mild. Courting them while bashing them. It should be interesting to see how they react. The worst they can do is not give us our business, and who cares, it's just money.

*
I had to sign the books that were sold, I had no idea what to say, so I simply said, enjoy and signed my name. I think I should have dated it, but did not think of that until today.

*
I have noticed this before. These Americans are Animal Lovers and into animal rights. It seems like all of them are, like a fad. They worry over the street dogs and the worse the condition the more they get into the description and the disgust. They take great pride in finding these dogs and healing them. They form organizations and clubs. It sort of has a religious feel to it, their belief in it making them better people, like atoning for some American sin. Killing people in Iraq and saving dogs in Mexico, such an odd people. They don’t do that much for their own homeless on the streets. Some dogs just don’t have it so good, that’s a fact.

*
But back to book, it was good to sell it, that’s what I wrote it for, to help make a living here. Next book though, I don't think I will hold back and just tell the more digestible stories, there are much deeper truths to reveal.

3 comments:

Garth said...

Good luck Zatikia.

Rancho Perros Bravos said...

Thank you pisces iscariot, I felt the good luck when I read it.

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»