Tuesday, May 30

The Event

*


*

Sunday I went to an event here, east of where I am, inland in the valley of Gaudalupe. It is known as the wine country now. Dia Del Caballo , horses, art and wine. A great combination in beautiful surroundings. A big ranch in the middle of grape vineyards out in the middle of nowhere. Two thousand people showed up. Even tourist bus loads. And they all came down the miles of narrow bumpy dirt roads and had to follow the map of all the turns till they finally got there. I'm not use to crowds so the noise that many people make surprised me. We were under Arabian style tents, maybe they hold the sound in. My booth this time had my puppies in a big pen with hay, they looked so good. I felt sort of overwhelmed by all the people wanting to look at them and waiting in line to get information on them. I even sold one of my book to an elderly German couple who did not speak English very well. When I wrote the book, it was my first, a practice one and I based it on my own life, because that seemed easy enough. But now I must tell people when they ask what it is about that it is about my life, not just a story. Sort of an exposed feeling, but I can't think of anything else to say. I still can't get use to the part they want me to sign it, it never really comes to me as what to say.
*
One of the best parts about the event was the way the Mexicans were dressed. This was an event for rich people as it cost $20 to just get in. Women's cowboy boots come in so many styles, and so do their hats. And the men had on shirts with horses and ranch scenes and pearl buttons and huge, really huge, belt buckles. The children too, all decked out like modern day cowboys. Then there was the Indians in comparison who looked like they rode in right out of history. The performers on the horses had on traditional outfits, the big sombreros and spurs, pants with silver buttons down the legs. Flamenco dancers in so many colors and their hair done up in combs and shoes with taps. There must have been five hundred tables spread out all over with people drinking wine and eating all kinds of food cooked up there from all the food booths. Drinking but no drunks.
*
This event was to benefit the children here with downs syndrome and I donated part of my puppy sales to them, so this felt good too. These children came and looked at my puppies and I let them hold them and have their photos taken with them. It was strange to see how they took to each other.
*
Such a positive day with so many beautiful sights, even nature put on her display of such perfect early summer weather. My husband and my sixteen years old worker and his two eleven and twelve years old brothers were with me. It was very wonderful to be able to witness this and being part of it we were there from early morning to sunset and did not miss a thing. I even got to seem my friends the Indians, down from the hills selling their baskets and artwork, and that is very special to see them always.

Viva Mexico, life is so good here.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

furtherleft said...

It looks like you got a taste of the state of Jalisco, which has the motto: (translated) "Jalisco is Mexico". It is the home of the charo's, the broad brimmed sombrero and spangled breeches 'gentlemen' cowboys and similarly adorned mariaches made world famous in the hey days of Mexican cimema of the 30's and 40's. Even the smaller towns have lienzo charros, the small stadiums in which the local horsemanship competitions take place, of course to mariachi accompaniment. We pass the large ranch of Vincente Fernandez on the way from Chapla to Guadalarajara, the state capital. He is the nationioal charo icon singer of fame whose rendition of Guadalajara opens the morning television transmissions. A proud moment in the life of a young woman we know is that she once dated a cowboy from Fernandez' ranch. The ranch features in sight a lienzo charro that would rival a US football stadium. The balet folklorica of the University of Guadalajara, reputed as the nations best, is a must show for anyone visiting here for splendor of traditional dance and music from all over the nation. It is good to glimpse the splendors of the past in rememberance, but the times they are a changin'. It is not uncommon in our small town to see a cowboy leading a string of mountain horses through narrow cobblestone streets - while talking on a cell phone.

littlebitofsonshine said...

o that sounded like it was such fun for you im so happy

Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»